Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
phantom I glitches when playing a certain song
re: ZeeZ
=>Yes exactly it shuts off and then tries to reconnect but then the bass will be a lot less compared to before it shuts off. And the only way to fix it is by restarting the phantom. 

Zee == If you have not you should file a ticket. More than 1, do it from your speaker, do it from some online link. phone it in. its a bug.

RE  supaDean
=>Your playback problem is an interesting one. One thought that comes to mind is that the music file itself is the problem, that is to say the way it has been mastered or has been stored on the streaming service you're pulling the song from. There could be clipping occurring that the Phantom picks up on, it being such a precise playback instrument. This is why the problem presents itself at the same moment in the song everytime it is played.

In general:

I agree it's the music, (not like that come on....) Wink . i bought the album in MP3 form from Amazon just to reproduce it after seeing it happen from some random utubz feed. Just to make sure i had as clean of a source as i was willing to muster.  I don't really think it's the FILE or the MASTERING other than it does contain a pattern the software can't handle.  the dynamic difference, right at the mark there is an interesting pattern (like in trading those diamond shapes) that lead to chaos. 

Similar root cause I'd imagine to what some have reported with MOVIES, when the content has a large dynamic burst the speaker pops sometimes when used at high volume (it sounds like 'nope' as in 'nope' not going to do that anymore) and shuts down.

about Volume. in general. 50% is the absolute sweet spot for analog electronics. anything above that and you're stressing some component somewhere.  YMMV. In general, the rule of thumb is 50% is the max volume you want to use. (for analog, not talking about digital realm) SO - i would expect the higher you go over 50% to have differences perceptible to the ear or not.

with the Phantoms: At some point while there is a lot of digital going on it has to come out someplace as ANALOG. So see above.   

In this case 50 is just a number. probably several numbers coordinated to mean the same thing. It's all SOFTWARE. 

Point is, I'd expect problems a bit further above 50% than 53 (i think that was the lowest i reproed it before) not at 50 , yes at 55, not at 51, yes at 53 and i stopped at that point or similar.  easily happens at 55 though. 

I do guess this track (by its INTETIONAL design, just the musical bits, nothing other than what the artist intended) easily exposes a limitation in the Phantoms of kind of (energy-delta) or some kind of odd 'unnatural' oscillation the mechanism is designed to prevent. (like a limiter)  - seems like a problem if you use these for say MASTERING IN A STUDIO, OUCH... Wink

Point is : 50 something whatever it is 55 or 53 is "pretty low into the buffer zone for this kind of problem" to happen.

If this were higher up into the range, > 65 or surly > 75 it would seem more 'acceptable' for UNUSUAL problems.  (though i find that even at 100 it still sounds 'perfectly fine' (ALL THINGS CONSIDERED) for what i would put through the speakers and put the speakers through on those rare occasion)

I did not do any prolonged testing but did repro it 3 or 4 times with different sources. one was a mp3 i bought from amazon, the others were random streams. perhaps all somewhat related or suspect origins but really that's not the issue.  

it's a software problem. this TRACK and the contents of this TRACK  (not the file or the encoding but the music being encoded) just happens to expose it really easily and reproducibly; this track (is the easy path or its equivalent) should likely be used in some kind of test suite for the engineering team. !!  Wink  IMO...   <3